Wednesday, March 22, 2023

STORIES

Stories help us make sense of our lives. 

Storytelling is fundamental to growing and learning within a society. Processing and learning from stories defines humanity. My favorite stories are true ones with real life lessons.

My favorite memories are hearing narratives from my grandparents and parents:

Sheila Winward White
Grandma T told me stories about her four sisters and two brothers growing up in rural Idaho. 

One day, while my grandma was at school, someone ran into the building proclaiming that my grandma’s family home was on fire.  My grandma and her six siblings ran home to discover a pile of ash where their house had once stood.  The plumber they had hired to install their first indoor bathroom had accidentally caused the fire.  For months, the family of nine lived in tents while they rebuilt their home.

When I have struggled with not having all that I want or need, I have thought of my grandma and her family’s resilience in this difficult time. 

Alvin Lloyd White with his sweetheart, Grandma T.

Grandad was a sailor during WWII.  He didn’t like sharing stories about the war.  The only time you might hear him mention the war was in his sleep; Grandma always said he swore “like a sailor.” But Grandad did love telling the story of how he and Grandma T met.

Grandma T was a nurse officer and Grandad was a petty enlisted man.  Officers and enlisted men were not supposed to date.  He asked her out when he met her during surgery where he was supposed to be assisting.  She said no because he was too young and it wasn’t allowed.  He lied to her about his age, and they met secretly for their first date.  One thing led to another, and pretty soon they were engaged.   When grandma learned he wasn’t as old as he’d originally said, she almost called the wedding off.  He convinced Grandma to still marry him.  Grandad was persistent and very gregarious.  He used those attributes to get what he wanted.  And, although Grandma T was out of his league, he used his persistence and gregarious nature to continue to grow and become and reach grandma’s league!

I have been accused, by my husband – Scott, of being gregarious.  I must have inherited that trait from Grandad. Grandad shows me how that can be a positive in my life.

Olive Hammer McCallister
Grandma Mac suffered from breast cancer.  She was sick most of my father’s teenage years.  She had a rare and dangerous double mastectomy in the 60s.  She overcame the odds and lived for another 40 years.  She was my inspiration when I struggled through illness and poor health.

Life isn’t easy and sometimes we are dealt a hardship like cancer, or in my case: depression.  Grandma endured!  I can too.

M.E. McCallister - Grandpa Mac
Grandpa Mac left home when he was twelve.  He rode the rails and didn’t have a home for many years.  He was a real hobo. 

One day my grandpa’s father tried to hit him.  My grandpa fearlessly took the belt away from his dad.  Knowing he would be in even more trouble later, he ran away from home and hopped a train.  After traveling for hours under the car, he was half frozen when the train stopped in the Rockies.  The kind proprietor of the establishment offered my grandpa a coffee spiked with rum to warm him. Grandpa couldn’t pay him for the drink, but offered to work for room and board.  He worked hard.  Eventually he became a successful entrepreneur. 

My grandpa stopped a cycle of abuse that had been perpetuated for years through love, hard work and kindness.  When I need to stop a negative cycle in my life, I can remember a 12 year old boy taking charge of change.

My dad in uniform - Gary Loren McCallister
My dad seemed to have a story for every situation. He told my siblings stories about friendship, music, and books.  The story that sticks out the most to me was when he joined the army.  My dad lived and served during Vietnam – although he was against the war.

One afternoon, he took a long walk into the mountains and prayed for guidance.  He was not doing well in college, he had broken up with my mom, and was lacking direction.  He didn’t realize it at the time, but the Holy Ghost prompted him to join the army.  He was surprised at the impression, but followed through with the prompting.  Since he joined as a conscientious objector, he joined as a medic.  His enlistment with other like-minded recruits, led him to gaining a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Promptings from the Spirit don’t always make a lot of sense, but they always lead to happiness.  Thanks for teaching me that, dad.

My young mother and father - Gaydra Lea White
My mom left her childhood home in Colorado at the age of 19.  She traveled clear across the ocean to Germany to marry her army medic.  She had never been without her parents, brother and sister.  She had never left the United States before.  She didn’t speak any German.  And she felt completely alone.  To heighten her anxiety, she flew on the German airline, Luftanza, where no one could communicate with her.  She was afraid, but she pushed through her fear and moved forward having faith that she was doing the right thing.

When I need to step out of my comfort zone, I reflect on my mom’s youthful journey and find courage in her example.

There is so much to learn from stories.  And that is the goal of this blog.  I want to tell the stories of my life – the way I remember them – for my friends and posterity. 

4 comments:

  1. Sundy, You are an inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Cool. I'm excited to read these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! Thank you for sharing your gift with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me homesick for the family that has gone home. Can't wait to see them again!

    ReplyDelete

A LOVE LIKE NO OTHER

Scott and I have always struggled with staying pregnant. We wanted a large family, but Heavenly Father thought that two, beautiful girls wer...