Sunday, May 14, 2023

CAUGHT YA


“You’ve got this!” My mom encouraged as I struggled through another difficult contraction. I was in labor with my second child and my mom was my coach.

Two weeks earlier, my husband moved to Las Vegas, Nevada. He was to prepare a place for our little family to move to as soon as the baby was born. He was still in Vegas when Dr. King informed me that Scott needed to come right away for the birth of his second born. I called my husband, and he hit the road.

In the meantime, my mom was my pregnancy coach, and my mother-in-law was watching our 18-month-old while I gave birth.

Mom picked me up at noon to take me to the hospital. She looked beautiful. She always did. She never went anywhere without looking “put together.” She wore a bright yellow shirt, sunshine ear rings, and denim culottes. She smiled as she excitedly took me to the hospital.

My mom spent the next 6 hours giving me ice chips and holding my hand through the pain. She told me stories about her school students and their antics to take my mind off the labor.

I remember her smiling a lot in anticipation. My mom’s smile is legendary. She never showed her teeth when she smiled, but her eyes danced. Every time the doctor and nurses came to check on my progress her smile would reach almost to her ears.

At 6:00 p.m. on June 26, 2000, I told the doctor that it was time for me to push. He told me to wait for my husband, but Katia wasn’t patient. 

I began pushing. Mom continued to hold my hand and cheer me on. After two pushes, my husband walked into the delivery room. He came up to where my mother stood and took her place, taking hold of my hand. Mom moved down toward the foot of the bed to get a better view of her newest grandchild.

Earlier in the evening, Dr. King asked me if it would be alright if one of the interns delivered our baby. I assured him that would be OK. So, the intern was in position with my mom standing close by.

Katia was so excited to join the world that instead of coming out in the span of two pushes, she slid out in one. The intern was caught by surprise, and my baby girl slipped through his hands.

My mother jumped into action. She caught my precious child before she hit the floor. The yellow shirt she had adorned for my benefit was a mess, but my little girl was healthy and safe.  My mother literally saved my daughter’s life.

Since, she always reminded my daughter, “I caught ya’, Katia!”

Mothers are extraordinary! My mother has always been my role model. She’s been my cheer leader. She’s been my teacher. She’s a mentor, a confidant, a religious instructor, and a terrific grandmother. She’s been my best friend. 

Lance Conrad once wrote, “I can imagine no heroism greater than motherhood.” My mom really is my hero!

At least that’s the way I remember it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A LOVE LIKE NO OTHER

Scott and I have always struggled with staying pregnant. We wanted a large family, but Heavenly Father thought that two, beautiful girls wer...